Storage Supplies & Tips
Make the best use of your storage container by staying organized with our supplies and checklists.
We carry a variety of moving and storage supplies to help make the process a little bit easier. From bubble wrap to locks and everything in between, we deliver moving and storage supplies along with your portable storage container rental. It doesn’t get simpler.
Plan ahead, be organized and stay on schedule with The Storage Box.
- Make an inventory list of everything you’ll be storing in your container.
- Create a diagram or take photos indicating how you packed you're Storage Box, this will make items easier to retrieve.
- Collect packing materials, towels, and moving blankets to help protect your things.
- Do not store any food, perishable items, toxins, or flammables. For a list of prohibited items, review section 6, “Use of Container and Compliance with Law,” of your Storage Box Rental Agreement.
- Consider The Storage Box Container Protection Plan and consult your homeowner's insurance plan to ensure your items are covered from damage or loss.
- Take pictures of your packed contents.
- Fill empty spaces in boxes with packing paper to keep items from shifting and to protect boxes from getting damaged when they’re stacked.
- Keep like items together.
- Label boxes on all sides.
- Always pack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
- Items you’ll need access to while storing, pack them last, so you will have easy access.
- Disassemble larger items such as tables, bed frames, etc., to maximize space.
- Bag and label all hardware.
- When stacking furniture, use moving blankets between pieces to prevent scratching. Use tape over the blankets to hold them in place, but never apply tape directly to your furniture.
- Take pictures of connections before disconnecting your electronic devices.
- Store electronics and pack items in bubble wrap, cushion foam, or newspaper.
- Label corresponding cords.
- Give appliances a good cleaning prior to storing.
- Leave doors slightly open to prevent mildew.
- Protect appliances with moving blankets. Use tape to hold them in place, but don’t apply tape directly to your appliances.
- Wrap small pictures and box and pack them vertically.
- For larger frames, use boxes designed for pictures.
- Always store mirrors and framed pieces vertically, not flat.
- Use specialty boxes designed with dividers for these items.
- Wrap each piece with paper or foam.
- Label Crystal, China, and Glassware boxes “FRAGILE.”
- To save time, keep clothes on their hangers and bind them with zip ties into easy-to-manage groups. Pack them in garment bags or create your own with an upside-down garbage bag.
- Wardrobe boxes are also a convenient way to pack clothes and can offer additional protection.
- Use dresser drawers to store smaller items.
- If you’re storing wool items, use cedar chips or mothballs to prevent moth damage.