Moving Supplies & Checklist Helping You Get Organized & Prepared
Be prepared and stay organized with our moving to do list. We are dedicated to make your move as easy, and stress-free as possible.
6-8 Weeks prior to move
- Get a quote & schedule delivery of your storage container from The Storage Box.
- Walk through every room and open every drawer to decide what to take to your new home and what to get rid of. Make a list of items to keep safe.
- Prepare and finalize your new home renovations by contacting carpenters, painters, plumbers, roofers and other tradesmen.
- Set aside items you no longer need. Donate them, hold a yard sale or sell them online.
- Begin using frozen foods & perishable foods that you do not want to move.
- Create a folder to hold all of your moving records (estimates, receipts, etc).
- Make any home repairs that you are committed to making.
- Contact Canada Customs and Revenue for information on which moving expenses may be tax deductible.
- Make an inventory of all your household belongings. Take digital photos, especially of electronics and their wiring configurations.
- If you need help loading and unloading your Storage Box, start collecting quotes from labour services companies. Ask The Storage Box for a list of preferred vendors
3-4 Weeks prior to move
- Declutter & begin packing non-essential items in your attic, basement, shed, etc.
- Label all boxes with their destination room in your new home.
- Schedule use of elevators & parking in your building, if applicable.
- Contact your insurance company to transfer policies, and fill out change of address forms with post office.
- Prepare a list of friends, banks, credit card companies, investment services, newspaper subscriptions & magazine subscriptions who should be notified of your upcoming move.
- Create a list of serial numbers for electronics or other valuable items.
- Arrange cut-off & activation dates for services to your home:
- Trash disposal service/lawn & garden maintenance
2 Weeks prior to move
- Have The Storage Box deliver your portable storage container – take your time, pack at your own leisure. If you have A LOT of stuff and doing it all on your own, get your Box delivered 3-4 weeks before your move!
- If possible, start disassembling large furniture such as bedroom sets.
- Pack any heavier items first, then items such as couches, bedroom furniture, tables, etc.
- Make an appointment with a service technician to prepare shipment of your new major appliances.
- If you have any antique items, have them appraised prior to packing these items.
- Properly dispose of items that cannot be moved in your portable storage container or thrown out such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids and batteries.
- Create a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
1 Week prior to move
- Confirm pickup date & time of your Storage Box to be moved to your new home or to The Storage Box facility.
- Drain equipment: water hoses, gas/oil, lawnmowers etc.
- Schedule to have utilities turned on at your new home.
- Prepare an essentials box:
- Toiletries, flatware, water, snacks, coffee, pet food.
- Garbage bags, tool kit, First-Aid kit
- Important records, keys
- Make child care & pet arrangements for moving day
1 Day prior to move
- Empty, defrost & clean your refrigerator & freezer.
- Disconnect & prepare major appliances.
- Label items you need to access easily, pack closest to the door of your portable storage container.
- Unplug all electronics from their power source. It’s best to unplug TV’s the day before so they are at room temperature on move day
Day of move
- Designate boxes and items as “last load” items.
- Remove all contents from appliances.
- Record all utility meter readings at your old house and your new house.
Before you leave the house
- Shut off water, heating & air-conditioning units.
- Turn off all lights.
- Make sure all windows are shut and locked.
- Make a final check of rooms, closets, cabinets & storage areas to ensure no items have been left behind.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so that the new residents can forward any items left behind and forward any stray mail.
- Turn-over house keys.
After you move
- Take your time & unpack on your own schedule. Call The Storage Box once you have completely unpacked and we will come to pick up your portable storage container.
- Relax & enjoy your new home!